Search This Blog

Wednesday 17 November 2010

LET THERE BE LIGHTness

This afternoon I was struck by a need to really, really clean up my kitchen counters.  In a condo like ours, that means moving stuff you don't have room for in your kitchen/office to other parts of your apartment in which you don't have any room either.

In his heart, Dave really likes an ascetic, zen look.  In my heart, I see a piece of counter or wall that has nothing on it and plan a shopping trip.  Yet we continue to be happy together.  In my effort to compromise, and to bring some asceticism to the room where I keep my coffee, wine and chocolate, my laptop ended up in the bedroom, where so far, it seems content.   It may actually be a good thing to separate the laptop from the goodies; it's certainly not a bad thing to be able to sit up in bed and write a post in the dark in the middle of the night.   We'll see how that pans out.

This was my kitchen earlier in the year:

From the living room looking in; from the hallway:
Note the appealing clutter  
 
Note the appealing clutter
I NO LONGER HAVE APPEALING CLUTTER, AND WHAT I HAVE LEARNED FROM THIS EXERCISE:
  • Don't try to take photos in the middle of the night with a laptop webcam when your arms are wobbly
  • Don't expect to go out into the kitchen in the middle of the night and not want a little something tasty
  • As soon as you do something inspiring like get zennish in your kitchen, your husband will be inspired to clean out his bike saddlebags, leaving mysterious and dangerous-looking pieces of equipment and old maps on your ohm-ish counters
I may or may not try to capture the new kitchen look to post tomorrow, but probably, realistically, I'll have moved on to another equally earth-shaking task. 

4 comments:

  1. I am pretty impressed with the job that you laptop does, whenever it was pressed into service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am impresseed with laptop camera. I have one but turned it off as it looks at me all the time when it is on....hardly and inspiration and certainly will not be transmitted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you!!! Will you come and do my kitchen counters?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a well loved and well used kitchen. Bike saddle bag contents on your counter tops? I think not.

    ReplyDelete