Search This Blog

Saturday 8 January 2011

Snow:1, Lorna:0

We have such a lovely blanket of real, white snow.  It's taken two days, but there it is.  I've looked out the window and seen the kind of thing many people can only see on Christmas cards:  parents pulling their kids on toboggans, a rabbit being brainless yet calm, the footprints of two people walking closely together, an abandoned mitten, cars all seemingly white, except where the windshield wipers are working.  I know I sometimes moan about the cold, but this pristine snowfall has cured me.  At least for today.

Dave went out cross-country skiing, which he loves to do and came back tired and hungry and elated.  When he's been out, he always seems so boyish when he comes back, until he falls asleep after eating dinner.  It's kind of frustrating tonight that he's sleeping because I was hoping he'd watch me try to synchronize my Digital Library with my Kobo e-reader and show me where I went wrong.  That's just thoughtless on his part, and he's going to be sorry when he sees that even though I was charmed by the snow, I tried to throw my e-reader out the window.

7 comments:

  1. Yes, it was a nice day, but was the window open or closed at the time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The nerve of these old cackers, always falling asleep just when they're needed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds beautiful...from here...where it's 60 degrees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Lorna, I just accomplished said task, connecting Kobo to Adobe Digital Editions. It took a bit of fiddling, but it eventually worked. I started with these instructions: http://kobo.zendesk.com/entries/170483-how-do-i-transfer-my-ebooks-to-my-ereader-device-using-adobe-digital-editions. Of course it didn't work the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The view from my window is grand too. Back yard and field white with snow, kids are building snowmen, throwing snowballs, and laughing and sliding in the white wonderland. I love it!

    Smudge came for a sleepover on Friday and she and Buppa even had fun shoveling the white stuff. Or maybe I should say -throwing the stuff around!

    I don't like driving in winter, but I love the rest of it. Let it now, let it snow, let it snow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking out my office window to the snow-covered mountains across the L.A. basin, but I'm glad it's there and not here in Palos Verdes. It is so gorgeous to look at and I'm glad Dave enjoyed his x-country skiing--and that you weren't too brutal when he finally woke up. Are you synced now?

    ReplyDelete
  7. In Dave's defence: He didn't go skiing til 16h30 when the sun is just setting at this time of year. The skiing was 2 hours of intense fast forward for five minutes, stop and marvel at the snow laden trees for five minutes, fast forward for five minutes, stop and watch the snowflakes in the light of his headlamp for five minutes, repeat, delighting in turn at the pockets of moonlight peaking through openings in the forest canopy, at the tracks of deer and rabbits that had danced the polka there early that morning, and finally at the wonderful silence of being alone in a windless pine forest with snowflakes dancing down. What else would he be but filled with wonder, both exhilarted and exhausted when it was over? The Other Half

    ReplyDelete