Search This Blog

Thursday 21 August 2014

Be afraid...be very afraid

Can you imagine how easy it would be for a giraffe to sit in a rocking chair?  a baby to spell its own name?  a shooting star to play baseball?


That's how easy it is for me to work on a budget---and that's just the part where you make the spending choices, not where you actually achieve synchronicity between choices and resources.

I've been reading budgeting tips and calculating, and researching appropriate percentages and calculating, and screaming and calculating and I can't get it right. 

There was a time when our budget was easy.  Dave and I lived with my brother and we put our names on the receipts for things we'd agreed to share and got to use the rest of the money, if there was any, for improving our lifestyle.   It was an up and down  existence but very simple.

Generally though, as we matured, Dave worked on the budget, shared it with us all and sweetly reminded us of the consequences if we overspent.  Some of us always did, and I am obviously using the royal "we".  

It really got messed up if I got vacation pay or a union boost because I had already spent that money several times over by the time it actually hit my bank account, and then there was our incompatibility about the wonder of credit.....only I thought it was wonderful, and worth the high interest rate.  We chugged along though, mostly because I only thought of budgets and money responsibility twice a year---just before Christmas and just after, and because David is the most forgiving and generous of men. 

We're now at a place where we really have to live on our pensions though, so it's start from scratch.  And because I am the person who seems to spend the most outside of what we consider our necessities, it seemed like a good idea for me to work on the budget and get to undestand our new realities.

I'll have to stop buying books, but we've got a great library system. I'll have to choose between cosmetics and skin care and I know where that takes me.  We'll have to actually look at the price of groceries and I might have to cut back on my wine intake.  Maybe I can grow my hair, get involved in a shoe exchange, learn to make soap and candles or remember how I used to make clothes.  

Or maybe we'll give up the condo and just rotate amongst the kids. We promise to buy the beer.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I understand. We have always needed to budget, and some find it very difficult -- not necessarily the need to tighten one's belts but the process itself. I don't know how your budget is set up, but part of it could be that you each get your 'walking around' money to do with as you please. Then you wouldn't have to consult each other about everything or be in the lop about the state of the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been a budgeter, but I've always been able to stretch a dollar as far as I could make it go. My husband is the worst shopper, I've had to rein him in many times over the years. Good luck with the budget. Try to think of it as knowledge rather than restriction, sometimes just knowing where the dollars are going is the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend Shelly laughs about her plans for the future: living three months per year with each of her three adult children, and spending the other three down south in the winter. I can't see it, but if anyone could, it would be her!

    That Heart in Hand, she is one smart chicky. Hello up there!

    ReplyDelete