Search This Blog

Sunday 7 August 2011

Regrets, I've had a few....

Blogging at 4:30 a.m.  Not something I would have seen as an ideal time for enhanced communication, but since I'm here, I'm going to go for it.

A while back I wrote about how I'd purged our cupboards and fridge of all things sugary and decadent.  It really felt good at the time.  I knew that there'd be wonderful berries and fruit on display at the two outdoor markets, as well as at my usual grocery stores, and naively, I thought that eating fruit instead of cookies, cake or ice cream would be satisfying.  And it was, and is, in a way.  It's just that once you get past the fruit and vegetables while shopping, you continue to run into things like profiteroles, chocolate-chip cookies, lemon tarts and croissants au chocolat.

The worst offender is of course the best provider of supermarket decadence in North America:  President's Choice.  Is there anything dessertish with that brand name that offends me?  Well, I'm not really all that fond of the Pineapple Upside-down Cake, but I know from friends and family and midnight raids that I'm in the minority there.

When Loblaw's started marketing that brand, we still had finicky kids in the house who believed that President's Choice was not really a brand---not like Heinz, McCain, Chef-Boyardee or those American donuts that you can't get any more.  They approached our PC purchases with something only slightly less than disdain.  Now, some 20 years and thousands of products later, my kids, like us, can't wait to see what the President has Chosen. 

There have been some lifestyle improvements like their thin burger buns but for the most part our interest has focussed on the amazing cheesecakes, ice cream, gelato and cookies, none of which are findable in our house now.

I would kill for a PC Key Lime pie this minute, then I'd celebrate my misdeed with a cup of PC Dark hot chocolate and some PC shortbread. 

Then I'd be ready for breakfast, for which we don't have the PC jams and marmelades that used to bring us joy.

Oh, and by the way, Dave has lost 10 pounds, and as far as I can tell, I've lost none. 

6 comments:

  1. About ten years ago while driving through NYS, we stopped at a restaurant. I don't know how we got onto it, but I do recall a waitress expressing jealousy at our Presidents Choice products. I believe she thought they were an exotic brand named for American political leaders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think every tooth in my mouth is a sweet-tooth!
    They all woke up as I was reading your post!
    Men always seem to lose weight faster. Don't ask me why.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a sugar junkie!!! My grocer's bakery should be listed as a mortal danger of sin. That said, I ran into my priest there one day and teased him that the maple cream sticks in his cart we awfully decadent for a man of the cloth. He laughed and asked if I'd give him absolution. Of course I said, "Yes"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. While trying to lose weight a few years ago I cut out potato chips. After going without for a couple of months I let one slip past my lips. I was amazed that I didn't enjoy it like before. All I tasted was the oil they fried it in. So perhaps with more time you won't be tempted anymore. I'm impressed by your choice though. (I don't think I could do it.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes sugar is the enemy that we love so. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like I said later above - if that is even possible in three dimensions: We're a team, one of us loses a few pounds, the other gains. It all evens out in the end. Reading all the other comments above, I was thinking it would be fun to have a sugar junkies' convention, but then, what would we eat before dessert?

    Your other fraction.

    ReplyDelete