- after you put the cream and sugar in your coffee cup it is imperative that you put coffee in the filter before you pour in the boiling water
- after your second try at making a cup of coffee, it would probably be best to drink it. Leaving it in the kitchen while you do the washing is second-best. At best.
- pineapple sticks, as lovely as they are, do not go well with Special K. Go figure.
- after you try out several outfits, and choose one, remember to put your underwear on before you think you're ready to leave
- if there's a thunderstorm warning, put the plants in the protected part of the patio; if you don't, when you go home, don't get hysterical when your fuschia appears to have gone missing; think about checking to see if it rolled down the hill to the path
- don't trust yourself to not look when you go into clothing stores; don't push the limits by trying things on; do give yourself a chocolate croissant for buying nothing, even though, if you have to say so yourself, you looked pretty sassy
- always believe little kids who are screaming at you when you're walking across an intersection under construction; stop for a few moments after the cement truck speeds around the corner
- see if you can just let that big bag with the featherbed in it stay where Dave left it when he went to Toronto; who says feathers are light?
- believe in your ability to eat no more than two toasted-coconut marshallows before dinner
- if you're going away for the weekend, get real about how many pairs of earrings you need to pack; ditto for shoes
Thursday, 18 August 2011
School of hard noughts
Today was a day of learning. I didn't intend it to be one; that's just how it played out. Here are some of the things I learned: