Search This Blog

Monday 3 February 2014

If it reads like a rant

Now here is an interesting development.  If I'm not talking to anyone, and if the radio is not on, I can hear music that no one else can hear.  Often it's 40s music, like Tommy Dorsey, but mostly it's chorale or opera.  

It's not unpleasant, and I gather it's tinnitus, which the Mayo Clinic people claim is a common problem, affecting about 1 in 5 people. Tinnitus isn't a condition itself — it's a symptom of an underlying condition, such as age-related hearing loss, ear injury or a circulatory system disorder.

That's all very well, but I've listened to some of the best rock and roll ever recorded, some of the most amazing folk lyrics and some exciting and innovative indie music.  My head chooses Tommy Dorsey to tell me I'm old?

2 comments:

  1. I have heard of people like you who have real music playing in theirs ears. I have tinnitus but the garden variety motor plus crickets.

    WRT your tv post, which I can read on Reader but not on your site, you didn't mention George Gently. Better than Foyle's War IMO. Set in the 60s, I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's weird ... and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete